From the time that well traveled routes began between Buffalo and points west of Big Sister Creek, the Village of Angola's economy thrived with the building of grist and saw mills, flourishing the community as a business, social and trade center. A need for a faster, freer flow of people and goods gave rise to better transportation in the form of improved roads and later, railroads.
In 1852 the Buffalo and State Line Railroad constructed a line of tracks and the Evans Station about a mile south of Evans Center. The location of the track had a marked effect on Evans Center as a commercial trade center. This position was to be transferred in time.
Soon a concentration of nearly a dozen new establishments were found on Commercial and High Streets, followed shortly by others on both South and North Main Streets. New businesses attracted residential development. In turn, increased population required more service oriented businesses.
The name Evans Station was changed in 1855 to Angola after the post office was transferred from Taylor Hollow, New York.
In 1873 prosperity prompted village incorporation and a dream of further growth and prosperity. There was good reason for optimism. The community, begun as a small depot on a rail crossing, had taken hold. and started to become self-reliant.
By the year 1973, Angola had grown to a population of 2,685. Its citizens no longer relied upon freight and passenger rail service. They now enjoyed the freedom afforded by the automobile, which presented the opportunity to procure all types of goods and services away from the village. There already was a shifting of reliance on small community based businesses to that which embraced an expanded community.
Presently, the Village of Angola is home to one of the largest food manufacturing in the country, Goya Foods, Inc., employing many of the residents of the Village. Also contributing to the tax bases in the Village of Angola are a number of businesses, of which visitors may check out our complete listing on-line.
Statistical data on the Village of Angola taken from the US Census Bureau
Population (year 2000): 2,266, Est. population in July 2004: 2,213 (-2.3% change)
Males: 1,093 (48.2%), Females: 1,173 (51.8%)
Elevation: 689 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
Zip code: 14006
For more information on business opportunities, and information visit us at the "Evans Brant Chamber of Commerce!"